Clitec: Goodbye fluorescence! Hello LED!
In the dynamic world of lighting technology, change is inevitable. Towards a greener and more sustainable future, the European Union has taken a significant step by updating the RoHS Directive, marking the beginning of the end for fluorescent lamps. Clitec, your trusted partner in environmental control technology, is here to assist you in this transformation process and present innovative LED solutions for your growth chambers.
Understanding the need for action
The European Union’s commitment to environmental protection has led to the introduction of the EU Ecodesign (SLR) Regulation in September 2021, followed by a revised RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Directive, which came into force in early 2022. These regulations are leading to the phasing out of various types of lighting sources in EU countries. A notable change is that from August 2023, linear fluorescent lamps (T5/T8) will no longer be allowed to be sold within the European Union.
Clitec is fully committed to supporting its customers during this transition period. We recognize the importance of this change and have taken proactive steps to provide you with a seamless and beneficial transition to LED lighting solutions.
The heart of our commitment lies in the new LED racks integrated into our modern FitoClima chambers. These LED shelves are designed to be easily installed in existing FitoClima growth chambers that are currently equipped with fluorescent tubes. Our goal is simple: to make the transition to LED lighting as smooth and beneficial as possible for our valued customers.
In 2022, the European Commission revised the RoHS Directive to impose stricter restrictions on the handling of mercury-containing lamps, which include fluorescent and ceramic halogen lamps (CMH/CMD). The phase-out of fluorescent lamps by the end of the year is imminent and will inevitably lead to the complete unavailability of fluorescent tubes on the market and a gradual increase in prices for remaining units.
Against this backdrop, the transition to LED lighting solutions has become not just a choice, but an urgent necessity. Implementing LED solutions not only ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, but also provides an efficient and sustainable answer to your lighting needs.
Important dates to remember
To help you manage this transformation, it is important to remember these crucial dates:
- February 2023: Ban on the placement of all ring-shaped fluorescent lamps (T5, T9) on the market.
- February 2023: Prohibition of placing compact fluorescent lamps with plug-in base (CFLni) on the market.
- August 2023: Ban on the placement of all T5 and T8 fluorescent lamps on the market.
- February 2027: ban on placing ceramic metal halide lamps (CMH and CDM) on the market.
The advantages of LED technology
- Now that we’ve discussed the ‘why’ and ‘when’, let’s dive into the multitude of benefits that come with welcoming LED technology into your growth chambers:
- Improved performance: LED lighting significantly reduces the heat load in your chambers, resulting in an overall increased performance.
- Increased durability: Both your equipment and consumables benefit from the longer life of LED lights.
- Sustainability: The introduction of LED technology ensures that your chambers will continue to function with the lighting they need even when fluorescent lamps are in short supply.
- Energy efficiency: LED solutions can reduce your energy consumption by up to 50 %, making them a cost-effective choice.
- Optimized Spectrums: LED lighting provides spectrums that are tuned for maximum plant growth, ensuring your plants thrive and bloom.
Clitec’s LED solutions
At Clitec we have selected a range of LED solutions tailored to your specific requirements:
- FitoClima LED Shelves: Our new LED shelves are available in variants with 4 or 8 tubes and can be seamlessly integrated into your growth chambers.
- Customized LED lighting: We offer LED lighting with intensity and spectra that can be customized according to your specific requirements.
Study of light types and characteristics
We understand that different applications require different lighting characteristics. Here are some options to consider:
- WARM-WHITE LED 3000K: Shelves with 4 tubes provide 450 μmol/m²/s (at 150 mm), shelves with 8 tubes provide 650 μmol/m²/s (at 150 mm).
- HP LED 3500K: Per shelf, you can expect 1,400 μmol/m²/s (at 500 mm) and 3,000 μmol/m²/s (at 150 mm).
- COLD-WHITE LED 4000K: Shelves with 4 tubes provide 450 μmol/m²/s (at 150 mm), shelves with 8 tubes provide 650 μmol/m²/s (at 150 mm).
Join Clitec and welcome the future
Don’t wait until the last minute, act now to embrace the future of lighting technology with Clitec’s LED solutions. Contact us today to learn more about our offerings and begin a smooth transition to LED lighting in your growth chambers.